At 02:18 AM 2/14/03 +0100, Mr. Liudas Motekaitis wrote:
>All I can say is that this won't have anything to do with Finale, and that
>sound you're getting is something every PC computer user gets from time to
>time. Sort of like the 'blue screen'. Everyone gets it at times but nobody
>knows how to fix it...
>The only sure fix is to reinstall your entire system.

This is drastic. It is rarely necessary. I have gone through a dozen
different computer configurations, upgraded from Windows 3.1 - 3.11 - 95 -
95A - 95B - 98SE and aside from the upgrades, only reinstalled twice in all
that time -- once full, and once atop the existing installation to repair a
known broken file.

Without knowing more about the system (including which Windows OS it is),
I'd recommend if you're using Win95 or 98 (because I don't know how later
OS's would work):
0. Run Windows Update from the start menu. Accept all security and media
updates. Reboot.
1. Run MS Regclean, available from the MS site. Reboot.
2. Download the latest sound card drivers for your hardware and OS.
3. Uninstall the old drivers. Reboot.
4. When the hardware wizard comes up, point it toward the new drivers and
install. Reboot.
5. Reinstall Windows sound recorder (this repairs a minor properties
glitch) by re-extracting it from the Windows installation CD cabinet (it's
cabinet #46 in Win98SE)
6. Download DirectX 8.1 (not DirectX 9 yet) from the MS site, and install
it. Reboot.
7. Run DXDiag.exe (Direct X diagnostic) to confirm that the previous steps
are functioning.

That would likely do it. If you must reinstall Windows, do it *over* your
current installation, during which it should repair broken system components.

Dennis