>Which of the two words do you consider to be connected with amplitude
>modulation? I'm used to both terms being connected with frequency,
>"vibrato" being a small regular fluctuation in pitch (= frequency),
>and "wobble" being an excessive or uncontrolled vibrato.
>
>Michael Cook

Off the top of my head, I'd say that almost all woodwind and the better
vocal vibrato are AM rather than PM.  Good brass vibrato can be either, but
on the classical side it's more AM.  All these vibratos are produced by the
diaphragm, not the throat.  All string vibrato, of course, is PM.  So a
vocal wobble can be the result of either excessive and slow AM from the
diaphragm or excessive and slow PM in the throat.

Virtually all voice teachers preach that a vibrato is an inevitable result
of good vocal production.  Translated, that means the it's an inevitable
result of the kind of vocal production they teach, which is operatically
inclined.  An increasing number of early music singers are finding that the
lighter, unforced technique appropriate to early music allows much more
flexibility and much more controlable vibrato, including real trills rather
than forced vibrato trills.  Good jazz singers never thought otherwise!

John

John & Susie Howell
Virginia Tech Department of Music
Blacksburg, Virginia, U.S.A. 24061-0240