Both programs can exist on the same disk.  I had 98 and 2k1d on the same hard disk with Win98SE without problems.  Make sure you store (install) each in separate folders, i.e. Fin 97 in a Folder entitled "Finale 97" and 2k3 in "Finale 2003".  I never had the occasion to have both open at the same time or copy between the two.  I would assume you might run into font, etc. problems moving backwards from 2k3 to 97.  Maybe someone else can address that portion.