I am using Windows 2003.  I am engraving a piece right now that is
presenting a problem I've never faced before.  On the first two pages I am
scoring the vocal parts (SATB) in open score.  On the first system of the
piece I want the full staff name for SOPRANO, ALTO, TENOR & BASS.  On the
next several systems I want the abbreviated staff names S., A., T. & B.
Latter in the piece it changes to closed score (S. A. on one staff line and
T. B. on another).  Here I want the staff names to read S.A. on one stave
and T.B. for the other.  These two staves are the same Soprano and Bass
staves  which were used in the earlier open score sections.  I have not
found a way to enable all three synarios for staff names.  The only solution
that will work that I've found, which I really don't want to do, is to
create extra staves.  Use one stave for Sop. and another stave when Sop and
Alto are together.  The same would apply for Tenor and Bass.  This means I
have 6 staves for a four part piece.  Is this the only solution or is there
something out there I'm not aware of?  Thanks to anyone who can help.

Lee Dengler
Minister of Music and Arts - College Mennonite Church
Assistant Professor of Music - Goshen College
Director - Goshen Community Chorale
Editor and Engraver
Composer
Work 574-535-7262