(I hope I have replied correctly!  New email address, new email software, new list options for me, etc.)

I would think any transposition of any sort in alto clef would be particularly confusing.  Just put the cue in treble clef in Bb.  If it is extremely low write it 8va (labeled or not, depending on how exact you wantthe cue to be).

I assume that the cue is not intended to be played.  If it IS intended to be played if needed, then, obviously, it should be notated so the sax player can read it (Bb treble clef).

In older orchestral parts, cues not intended to be played are often left in the cued instruments key, but, IMO, this is an excellent opening for Murphy's Law.

Ray Horton
Bass Trombonist, Louisville Orchestra
(arranger, reluctant composer)

Darcy asked:

>Hi gang,

>I am currently working on transposing a part originally written for
oboe to soprano sax.  On the original, the viola cues are written in
alto clef, but I'm not sure I should keep this in the transposed
version.  I definitely want to put the cues in the player's key -- so
having a cue in alto clef (transposed to Bb) might be somewhat
confusing.  While the goal here is to be as faithful as possible to the
original, I think I might be better off putting the viola cues in
treble clef (i.e., the sax player's clef).  Opinions, anyone?

>- Darcy

-----
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Boston MA