On Thursday, March 6, 2003, at 04:29 AM, David H. Bailey wrote:

How do they get that long-short feeling then? Or are my ears deceiving me and all those recordings I've heard of all the big bands are really playing even 8th-notes?

You tell me -- go check out how Basie's band actually plays the continuous eighth notes on the 1938 "Jumpin' at the Woodside" and report back.

I could have sworn there was a difference between Basie and Bach, but then all those experimental drugs back at the Home might have muddied my thinking.

The difference is in the articulation, not the note durations.

- Darcy

-----
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Boston MA

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

- Benjamin Franklin