At 6:22 AM 03/30/03, David H. Bailey wrote:

[answering Paul Copeland]

>Bartok's music is still protected by copyright so you would be breaking
>copyright law by posting it without obtaining written permission and
>paying whatever royalty the copyright holder wanted to charge you -- [...]

To elaborate slightly:  In Europe, ALL of Bartok's music is still under
copyright.  In the United States, SOME of Bartok's music is under copyright
and some is in the public domain.

I'm not familiar with the piece Paul asked about. If it was published
before 1923 it is in the public domain in the United States. If the piece
is more recent than that or if Paul is posting from Europe, then everything
David says is correct and that's the end of it. Otherwise, the posting
might be legal, though there are still a few other concerns to watch out
for. If you're uncertain, my advice is to leave it alone.

(By "Europe", I mean the rules recommended in the EC directive on
copyright. As far as I know, all EC countries are now in line with that
directive. I've been told that Canada and Australia have copyright law
similar to the United States', but I can't confirm that.)

mdl