At 8:35 AM -0700 5/27/03, Chuck Israels wrote:
Smart people:

I wrote an arrangement of "All Blues" and scored it in 6/4. There is general agreement that the piece ought to be notated in 6/8, and I seem to remember that one can do this conversion without too much difficulty in recent versions of Finale. Anyone have experience with this before I plunge in?

Yep, fortunately you chose a very easy one.

Change the time sig to 2 on top, dotted quarter on bottom, which fortunately is one of the built-in options that displays as 6/8 if you just slide the sliders in the time sig tool. Uncheck the box to rebar - you don't want to right now.

In Mass Mover (Mass Edit for recent versions) select all, then

Mass Edit menu>Change>Note Durations... change all durations by 50% and make sure not to rebar, as it is not necessary.

Done!

However, in 6/8 beamed this way (2 over dotted quarter) you will have 2 slashes per measure, whereas you may have had 6 in 6/4, depending on how you decided to do it. You may have to set the time signature to display some other way than the time sig actually is to change the number of slashes. There is an option to display dots on slashes in the Define Staff Styles dialogue box, if you need to do this.

Now for the requisite unsolicited opinion, at no extra charge. ;-)

Despite what everyone else thinks (and I think they only think this way because the original Real Book notated it in 6/8) I think your original instinct was correct, and 6/4 is the best way. In 6/8 you are stuck with the slash problem (6 or 2 slashes, and dotted or not if only 2? No clear tradition on this) and that the 16ths are swung instead of the 8ths. In jazz (as you know well) the tradition is to notate the pulse on quarters, rather than 1/8ths, and All Blues is clearly in a 6 pulse, rather than 2. Even two measures of 3/4 is preferable, IMHO.