[Giz Bowe:]

>>Hi, Jim -- do I understand you correctly: that you would "naturalize" the
>>outgoing key signature in addition to the new key signature? That is, going
>>from Bb to G you'd naturalize the Bb & Eb and put F#?

[Mark D. Lew:]

>Jim can speak for himself, but yes, what you describe is the traditional
>practice.

     It is precisely what I would write.  It's worked well for hundreds of
years.
     I was talking only about notating my own music.  If I were engraving for
someone else, I would, of course, do what they have written; but I might ask
them to confirm something I thought was wrong, if it appeared unintentional, or
careless, or inconsistent with something else.

     Although I don't like the new style (of not using the naturals for
key-signature changes), I did admit earlier that it was quite clear nonetheless.
However, in matters where an old practice and a new one are equally clear, I
often prefer the older or more traditional method.
     I suppose an argument in favour of leaving out the naturals would be to
save labour, especially in orchestral scores.  I bet it's the real reason the
practice started in the first place.  But the use of computers eliminates that
reason, and, in engraving an orchestral score, I would keep the naturals.

                         Regards,
                          Michael Edwards.