I appreciate the feedback on some of my options. I can't refill my present
cartridge because it physically broke and was thrown away. The HPs work fine
in my printer and cost $138 at Office Depot. Office Depot's online store
offers an Office Max-branded, remanufactured equivalent of my cartridge for
$119 (free shipping).

I've also discovered an online source called Laser Logic of San Jose, CA,
<http://www.laser-logic-toner-cartridges.com> that offers their own branded
cart of my size for $49.95 as well as OEM-type carts. By *appearances* this
looks to be reputable: they have a physical store, a history of business and
affiliations with two standards organizations re cartridge remanufacturing.
They guarantee their carts as to compatibilty with OEM both in print quality
and # of copies. If anyone knows anything about them, let me know.

Richard Huggins