I have this niggling feeling that this has already been discussed on this list, but I'm curious about how to notate violin scordatura. In a work that I'm working on at the moment, I'd like the second violins to tune the G string down to F-sharp so that firsts, seconds and violas can play in a two-octave spread. I just want to know how I should notate this and get it to playback properly.

Taris

The transposing notation recommended by another respondent was indeed standard during the glory days of scordatura in the 17th c., but later (rarer) uses tend to show the sounding pitch and assume the player will adjust the fingers appropriately (example: Haydn, Sym. #60). It is not, after all such a hard discipline (think of harmonics, e.g., and stopped notes on the horn)--so that's what I'd recommend.

And of course, if you want any note above middle C# to be played on the G string, you need to indicate that w. a "sul G" (not "sul F#"!) or "sul IV".

--
Andrew Stiller
Kallisti Music Press

http://home.netcom.com/~kallisti/