On 02.06.2003 19:15 Uhr, Andrew Stiller wrote

> The transposing notation recommended by another respondent was indeed
> standard during the glory days of scordatura in the 17th c., but
> later (rarer) uses tend to show the sounding pitch and assume the
> player will adjust the fingers appropriately (example: Haydn, Sym.
> #60). It is not, after all such a hard discipline (think of
> harmonics, e.g., and stopped notes on the horn)--so that's what I'd
> recommend.

Haydn's No 60 is not really a good example. There isn't a long passage of
scordatura, it is merely an effect.

I doubt that you will make a violin section happy with a longer passage
played on a detuned violin, where all notes below d' have to be effectively
transposed. The first thing I would do when given such a passage is to
rewrite it in Scordatura notation. How do Saint-Sains and Mahler notate this
stuff?

Johannes
--
http://www.musikmanufaktur.com