The Roland Virtual Sound Canvas is definitely better sounding than the MS Wavetable SW Synth.  The current Win XP compatible version is the VSC-3You can purchase it from PG Music for $20 if you buy it with other products, or it is included with some of their products and upgrades.  Read about it at:

The latency can be adjusted in Finale but for me it is easier to switch the midi output back to my soundcard on those occasions when I use hyperscribe.

Ray Horton

Harrock Hall Music wrote:
> Hi all--
>
> I have several files I want to make gooder-n-good --
> (thas a suthern spreshun!) ---
> from Finale to midi format, to burn to cd.
>
> I have the current Microsoft GS Wavetable SW Synth as my default midi music
> playback device.
> Is there a better sounding one?
> Can one get them free off the Inet?
>
> And *if* there is, *how* do you load it ?!
>
> Thanks for any insights.......
>
> good weekend to all--
> Cecil Rigby
> HarrockHallMusic

David H. Bailey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Not having the Microsoft GS Wavetable SW Synth I can't really compare,
but there is the VirtualSoundCanvas, which may be free these days if you
can find it on the internet.