At 7:57 AM 06/09/03, David H. Bailey wrote:

>To be fair, Sibelius (version 2.1 -- I don't know about earlier
>versions) will show you the exact measurement from a reference point
>that you are moving something.  And it shows that while you are moving
>it, so if you are moving something vertically above the staff you can
>see exactly how far you are moving it, and thus can move any other
>things exactly the same amount.
>
>With Finale, you can drag or you can tell it specific epvu measurements,
>but you can't see those epvu units while you are dragging.

That's something I'd like to see more of in Finale.  A few of the special
tools work that way, but most don't.  I typically avoid dragging because I
can't get an exact fix of where I'm placing something. If the x and y
values were displayed somewhere while I drag, I'm sure I'd drag more often.

I'd especially like it for text expressions. I currently do those in any of
three ways, depending on context: (1) drag them and let them be imperfectly
aligned, (2) enter the H and V values directly, (3) drag them and use
TGTools to clean them up a little.  If I could drag and watch the position
simultaneously, I expect I'd use that for nearly all my text expressions.

mdl