On 17 Jun 2003 at 19:59, Daniel Dorff wrote:

> My thanks to those who recommended Spam Assassin a few days ago.  It's
> filtering out about 80% of my incoming spam, and the only false
> positives are mass commercial mailings from businesses whose promos I
> do want.

SpamAssassin is not catching any significant number of spam messages
that my own filters were not already catching, but it's doing a more
systematic job of it in a way that is allowing me to eliminate some
of my filters.

> However, I can't figure out how to lower the cutoff threshold or
> whitelist desirable mass mailings, as their instructions aren't
> layman-oriented.  I wonder if anyone can explain how (referring to
> SAProxy for Windows) ?

There are two ways to do this:

1. re-order your email program's filtering rules to catch the
whitelisted items before it checks for the SpamAssassin headers, OR

2. right click on the SAProxy icon in the Taskbar's system tray and
choose CONFIGURE. On the RULES tab you'll see a bunch of text. A few
lines down you'll see some lines explaining how to do whitelisting.
It's of this format:

whitelist_from   [EMAIL PROTECTED]

You see that the example has a # in front of it, which means it's a
comment, and not active. Add lines of that format without the # and
you should have those addresses whitelisted.