Hi David-

>   Verse Version 1
>   http://www.arach.net.au/~algernon/deepriver/
---- this has more passing tones, especially in the bass, than I'm familiar
with, and I've *never* heard a plagal cadence on the last "campground" !

> The second variant seems to be what's printed in modern hymnals:
>
>   Verse Version 2
>   http://www.cyberhymnal.org/htm/d/e/deeprivr.htm
---- My goodness!  UGH! Where did that ugly rhythm in the first phrase come
from? The chord sequencing in the verse is all wrong from what I've always
known.

---- me either!

> This version seems to be fairly widespread, though mostly just
> duplicated MIDI files (the first of the two following are the same as
> the cyberhymnal example above, while the third is a slightly
> different arrangement of the same tune):
>
>   http://hjem.get2net.dk/ribeim/midi.html
>   http://patriot.net/~bmcgin/christmusic.html
>   http://members.tripod.com/~kcrowell/christian.htm
----- it's the third version here which most closely matches what I know,
so far.......

> Now, there are other variations, too, only a couple of which seem to
> me to be musically significant. This one seems to be something of a
> cross between the two, and is found on the VirtualGrammaphone page
> (from 1917):
>
>   http://www.nlc-bnc.ca/obj/m2/f7/12263.mp3
----except for the unnecessary repetition of the campground phrase both
times, and the awful wandering final cadences, this has the harmonic
structure I know, even for the verse. Really, not a bad version at all.
Just wish it didn't sound so schmaltzy in the cadences.

> Another version has no real discernable melody for the verse, just a
> short bridge:
>
>   http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Pointe/6677/midilink.html
----this was about as bad as it gets to my ears. I couldn't even finish
listening..........

----sounds like it's meant to be instrumental only-   yuk!

---- horrid
>   http://realdreamy.hak.hokkyodai.ac.jp/musica.htm
---- maybe it's "dreamy," but I couldn't go to sleep by that one....
sorry....  misses the basic harmonies altogether

> Now, what's my point here?
>
> Well, I was wondering if anyone knew anything about this and could
> explain whether there is any primacy to version 1 or version 2.
[snip]
> Of the two, which do y'all think is the more familiar?
----   of all these the http://members.tripod.com/~kcrowell/christian.htm
file and the
http://www.nlc-bnc.ca/obj/m2/f7/12263.mp3 file are my choices, but, as I
said before, I'd have to make some major changes to the second one for it
to please me.

> And does anyone have any actual background materials in the history
> of this spiritual?
---- I don't- sorry......

My first experience with this song was when I was about ten years old. My
best friend in the fourth grade was a black kid named Donnie- we didn't
live too far from each other.... he asked me to come to his mom's funeral.
What an awakening for me in regards to church music! I clearly remember a
very skinny old man singing this song, accompanying himself quietly on
ukelele. There wasn't a dry eye when he got done, as we say around here.

An obvious question-  are you preparing an arrangement? Have you looked on
the American Memories website to see what they might have ? (a Library of
Congress site....)    http://memory.loc.gov/

Hope to hear what others think of your examples---

best to you-
Cecil Rigby