I have been amazed and rather amused at some of the suggestions put forward as examples of intervals.

I think we need to bear in mind the thinking behind all this - we can all think of lots of examples of just about every interval under the sun, but whether they're any use as a teaching tool is another question.  We're looking for familiar tunes that the kids all know already. (Hence "Advance Australia Fair" a little song which is fairly well known in Oz)

It's all well and good to suggest that the perfect example of a perfect 5th is the opening two notes of "Oh Send No More My Mother Dear for I am Quite Undone" but if the kids don't know that song, what use is it to them?  If you tell them that the 5th is the opening of Star Wars, or Twinkle Twinkle Little Star, they all know that, they can all sing it, hear it and, when the same interval appears in a piece they've never seen before, can pitch it with more chance of sucess.

By the way, if anyone knows a good arrangement of "Oh Send No More My Mother Dear for I am Quite Undone" for beginner brass and strings, please get in touch.

All the best,

Lawrence

http://lawrenceyates.co.uk