John writes:

... not to belabor the obvious, but serial intervals are one thing, but >simultaneous intervals are another,

To respond to the first part of John's statement, he's absolutely right. And I was fortunate enough to be instructed in hearing simultaneous intervals as well by a couple of great teachers. They began by having us pick apart the interval... sing both tones... then learn to recoginze them when played together. The rest of that story is that we progressed to picking apart more complex chords and learning to hear THOSE as harmonic textures, too, so that we began by singing the various tones of the chords... even up to, as I remember, ninth chords, and then recognizing the chords when all notes were played or sung. That was great, by the way... splitting up the class to sing the chord members, and listening as we held the chords... then swapping parts... it was enormously helpful.

Of course, in my experience, most people say they hate music theory, and there were those who hated that whole ear training thing. But on the other hand they are probably selling insurance or teaching third grade these days. I loved every day of every theory class... it meant basking, swimming, burrowing, ferreting, reveling, rolling around happily in musical sound.

My sister, who hated theory enough that she changed her major, thought I was demented.

Be that as it may....

Linda