At 7:37 AM -0500 7/12/03, Noel Stoutenburg wrote:
To whom it may concern:

If not implemented in FIN 2k4, one thing I would like to see in 2k5 is
the ability to attach an expression to another expression, besides being
able to attach it to a measure or a note.

The utility of this is as follows.  Assume in a score that one needs to
use the indication "legato" at one point, and "non legato" at another.
It is my custom not to define two separate expressions, "legato" and
"non legato", but rather to define two expressions "legato" and "non".
The reason for doing it this way, is that if at other place I need
"tenuto" and "non tenuto", I can define three instead of four
expressions, as the "non" can be used with any expression needed.  At
present, I can attach both the expression "non" and "legato" to the same
note, and space them the way I desire, but this spacing does not survive
changes in measure width, so that if some event occurs which alters the
measure width, I might get "nonlegato" or "non      legato".  If I could
attach the "legato" expression to the expression "non", presumably this
would not be as greatly affected by changes in measure width.

ns

Boy, I don't think I can go along with this suggestion. It is so easy to create a new expression "non legato" that always spaces properly and has its own midi properties and metatool assignment, that your proposal would seem to take a huge effort in comparison with the gain achieved.