On Wednesday, August 6, 2003, at 04:27 PM, John Howell wrote:

A co-worker insists that a deejay is a musician. I say that is a load, that at most he is perhaps an editer or producer.

Can a legitimate case be made in his defense?

Absolutelyl not! He does not create or recreate music, he uses other people's music.

John, I'm afraid you don't know what you're talking about. We're not talking about Clear Channel radio DJs and such, we're talking about serious turntablists like DJ Olive and Q-Bert and Kid Koala.

And for the anal, the true test is whether a DJ must join the AFofM. I suspect that the union would have him shot for taking work away from live musicians.

I don't know about "true test" but there are certainly a number of turntablists who are members of the AFM.

Hey, there are Grammies for rappers, but not, as far as I can remember, for DJs.

There are Grammies for producers, who are often DJs.

- Darcy

-----
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Boston MA