It's a device which plugs into a specific port (parallel, serial, joystick, whatever) and must be attached to your computer because the software that it came with will try to find it on your system. If it isn't attached, or for some reason it isn't working, the software simply will not run.

Some dongles have had pass-through ports on them so you could also use whatever device you usually have attached to that port, but some others were dead-ends so when you wanted to use that program you had to detach your normal device from that port and put the dongle on.

And for any ports other than USB ports you would have to reboot your computer since handshakes with those ports and any devices attached only happens when the computer boots.

With USB ports so ubiquitous these days, I am surprised that USB dongles haven't become more prevalent. Especially since it is so easy to add another USB port if you already have yours all in use -- the computer I built last year came with 6 ports built-in! And USB devices can be attached and removed without having to reboot the computer.

helgesen wrote:

I wonder- am I the only one thinking that a dongle is not something one
talks about in mixed company? But I strongly suspect that it's actually
something 'computerish' that I have never heard of!
What the hell is a dongle??
Cheers, Keith in OZ

----- Original Message ----- From: RockyRoad <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> To: Finale List <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Sent: Sunday, August 10, 2003 4:15 PM Subject: [Finale] Re: The Panic Room

If it makes anyone feel any better, there is a much worse copy protection
scheme out there than Finale 2004's challenge-response scheme, and,

believe

it or not, even worse than Sibelius'.

Try upgrading Logic versions from emagic.  Firstly there is a brand-new
dongle that has to be plugged into the USB port (yeah, like that's really
reliable).  Secondly, there is also a challenge-response system by which

you

have to fill in your details on an EXACT piece of paper, in an EXACT
envelope, with your EXACT original CD and original old dongle to be sent

your distributor, at your own expense, who then forwards it by mail to
Germany.  Eventually they email your return code back (mine took about 9
weeks).

Yes. I prayed every night that my dongle would make it there safely.

To make it even worse, in order to upgrade from, say, Logic 4 to Logic 6,
you also have to pay the full expensive upgrade fee to Logic 5, even

though

you didn't get to use it, it all adds up to a giant "I'd prefer to use a
cracked version" disaster.  I think there's a circle in Hell for the
paranoid programmers who conceived this rubbish, and I sincerely hope

that

Makemusic doesn't decide to follow their lead.

And after all the hoops emagic makes you jump through - they won't give us an electronic copy of the manual because it might encourage piracy of the software!!

--

David Stonestreet - Coming to you from Sydney Australia.

.

-- David H. Bailey [EMAIL PROTECTED]