Okay....it is correct that I should have said that IF it was a first ending,
the designation could read "Play 1st x" That being corrected, I'm pretty
sure the original question referred to a situation using repeat bars only
(not a 1st/2nd ending), and in such a case all the notes *would* be seen
twice and my "Play both x's" would be correct.

"Doubting the arranger's other markings" seems a bit extreme to me.

Richard