Well, maybe I'm STILL not getting something, but....

> I'd rather not have to also do a major editing job to produce a consolidated
> score.

I thought in your original message you said you had chosen to do it the way
you did. In this case, you have to consolidate the score anyway, since
you've already done it with more staves than you care to work with or than
the conductor can. Seems to me that in the future if you don't want to do
the consolidation process after the fact, you have to start out with
consolidated scores.

> Ideally my composition would all be done into the score as the conductor would
> see it, and then I issue a single extract command that will give me all my
> parts broken out.

Well, we're quibbling here a little.... how the conductor sees something on
his score is a matter that pertains only to his score, not the parts. There
are layout issues on one and different layout issues on the other. For
example, do you want the conductor to be able to tell when Trumpets 1 and 2,
but not 3, are playing? You'd possibly use stems to indicate that or maybe
even text on the score (or rests). But if the players each have their own
part, they don't need that help. So I don't quite see what difference it
makes that first (on the conductor's score)  you work in a conductor's
perspective manner when it comes to parts that eventually will be extracted
for the players.

I also don't understand your comment about a "single extract command" as if
somehow you can't use that on your score as it is. That hasn't been lost. In
fact, it would be easier when dealing with separate staves then with staves
tha have to be exploded before parts can be created. If you have a
conductor's score with 8 staves or 28 staves, Finale's extract command will
make parts for you.

--Richard