RockyRoad wrote:

Does this really matter on a 21" monitor running 1600x1200?

It is precisely on monitors of this size where screen rotation really begins to kick in for Finale users. (FWIW, what gave me the rush was rotating a 24" LCD panel that is 1920x1200.) The reason is that you have enough horizontal resolution in portrait mode not to feel particularly constrained, and the 1600 (or higher) vertical dimension has to be experienced with a music score for its Finale power to be fully understood. Actually, I think the big payoffs begin with 1280x1024.

If you have a 1280x1024 or larger screen (even a CRT) running Windows, you can get an idea what it's like by downloading the free Pivot Pro demo from portraitdisplays.com. With minimal effort you can rest a CRT on its side for a demo. (It may play havoc with the colors to rest it on its side, but it recovers when you set it back upright.)

Look, I don't suggest you would always work with a monitor like this in portrait mode. Many programs (e.g., Protools) are much better in landscape. But Finale, esp. for orch. scores or any page layout, is a dream with a hi-res monitor in portrait. Both Pivot Pro (Win) and MacPortrait (OS9) allow you to switch as needed with a single keystroke. The tech tips on my website include a faq on how you can set up virtually any LCD panel, even ones from Apple, for screen rotation on demand.

Fair enough. I always liked those Radius A4 displays back in the old days.

Rotating a 24" LCD 90° would be fab for playing old vertical scrollers like Galaga and Galaxions!

--

David Stonestreet - Coming to you from Sydney Australia.
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

"Fleeing from the Cylon tyranny, the last Battlestar, Galactica, leads a ragtag, fugitive fleet, on a lonely quest, for a shining planet known as Earth."