On Tuesday, August 19, 2003, at 03:56 PM, Robert Patterson Finale wrote:

Someone mentioned the new Samsung Syncmaster 213T. This is one of the sexiest (continuing the metaphor) displays I have ever seen. (I saw it at a local Best Buy or possibly CompUSA. I think they both carry it.)

This is the one you're talking about, right?

<http://www.samsungusa.com/cgi-bin/nabc/product/ b2c_product_detail.jsp?eUser=&prod_id=213T-Silver_Monitor>

I didn't know anyone had started to make pivot displays again. Interesting.

A couple of places have it for $1212, which is a pretty good deal but still *way* out of my range.

<http://www.pricegrabber.com/search_getprod.php/masterid=708367/ search=samsung%20213T/ut=42a7ac1010a297c1>

I recently picked up a Cornea 17" LCD for under $300 (including mail-in rebate) on Amazon to replace my (increasingly flaky) Sony CRT. (The green goes out on it pretty regularly now, although today it seems to be fine, knock on wood. Running it with the hood off seems to help.) The Cornea doesn't have a DVI (digital) connector, it's not as sharp or as sexy as the Formac Studio displays, and it doesn't have a pivot stand built in, but it *is* under $300 shipped. When Samsung hits that kind of price point, maybe then we'll talk.

Also, back on topic, I see no mention in the Samsung documentation that their pivot feature *doesn't* work on Mac OS X. Are they just playing fast and loose with the tech specs, or does this monitor really actually work in portrait mode in OS X? Inquiring minds want to know.

- Darcy

-----
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Boston MA