Many have answered this question quite well. It seems (in my defensive state before
discovering ATI Radeon 9800 Pro VERSAVISION mumbo jumbo) I may have misinterpreted
ignorance as skepticism in at least some cases, so sorry if so. Email is extremely bad
at nuance.

To help illustrate screen rotation, I've put up a couple of photos of my setup.
Reducing it to a 3x5 72 dpi photo saps a great deal of its impact. You probably won't
think these photos are at all x-rated. But for the interested...

http://robertgpatterson.com/techtipsfaq.html#anchor#MPRT.5

One additional benefit of the monitor arms is that I can float the monitors in front
of me without blocking access to the midi keyboard. I will admit that when the big 24"
is in portrait mode, being able to see what I'm playing on the midi keyboard requires
contortions. I could move the keyboard forward, but then I would have no writing area
in front of me.