Check your Options > Document Settings > Layer Options settings. If you have
designated rests to float higher (Adjust Floating Rests...usually with a
positive number, such as 6) when another layer is used, that could be the
reason. If perchance you have it set that way but did not check the line
that says Apply Only When Other Layers Are Present, they will float higher
even if other layers are not being used.

--Richard