On Saturday, Aug 30, 2003, at 02:33 US/Pacific, Dennis W. Manasco wrote:

I would never think to run Norton, or any other disk utility, against my boot disk; I would always either boot from another disk or CD. This may be a paranoid attitude, but until I know far more about OS X I feel that it is a valid precaution.

For OS X, you can boot into Single User mode and try to repair from there. However, when OS X and OS 9 are in the same partition, using an OS 9 repair utility (even Apple's) can change things which don't consider OS X requirements. Consequently things can get messed up badly for the OS X boot process and normal operations. Speaking from personal experience which was not pleasant...

Philip Aker http://www.aker.ca