No but maybe you can explain why other words that end have two consonants next to each other get to have vowels between the consonants when the word gets expanded but for some reason we yell STUPID, STUPID when somebody wants to put a vowel between the two neighboring consonants in nucleus when it expands to nuclear:

table tabular
muscle muscular
spectacle spectacular

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

First I should explain that I thought that all Americans pronounced "Nuclear" as "Nucular" - I thought it was the accepted American way. I am heartened by what I have read this week.

Now a question for those who have trouble pronouncing "Nuclear"
If you clear a table and it happens to be a new table, is it "a new clear table" or "a new cular table"? (Or maybe even "a clear new table"?)

All the best,

Lawrence
(who had hellish problems with some french words until a french friend broke them down into separate different words and solved the problems in an instant.)

http://lawrenceyates.co.uk