Mark quoted:

> > Same goes for those who kvetch about pronouncing "nuclear"
> > like "nucular".

and then wrote,

prompting Andrew to rejoin:

> While I myself look down on folks who say "nucular," there is indeed
> a good reason for the pronunciation:

and to go on to provide a very good reason why the word might be
mispronounced the first time.  In my opinion, Andrew's explanation does
provide an explanation why an _educated_ person would persist in
mis-pronouncing the word for thirty five years or more, especially in the
case of the most prominent individual to perpetrate the mispronunciation,
whose supporters insist on pointing out that he is both intelligent, and
highly educated at an Ivy league school.

ns