On Saturday, August 16, 2003, at 07:43 AM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

Maybe someone could shed some light on "system margins." I've tried several ways to handle them (mostly for piano-vocals and lead sheets) and find that the easiest most efficient way seems to be to set them all to zero, and just use "distance between systems" for spacing. Is there something wrong with this method that I'm missing? Is there a benefit to adding space around a system?

I don't think there's anything wrong with your method. I almost never change system margins. My practice is to keep them at 18pt and 36pt, simply because that's what I'm used to visualizing after years of habit, but if I never change them that's essentially the same as keeping them zero and counting from a different place.

I suppose the best reason to alter system margins is to distinguish between whether your "distance between systems" represents distance from staff line to staff line, or distance from the highest ascender and the lowest descender. If you want the latter, you can adjust the system margins to reflect that.

I can easily imagine an algorithm (either automated plug-in or user's standard procedure), which first examines a system for anything extending sufficiently above or below the staff to warrant adjusting the system margins, and then distributes the remaining vertical space among all the "distance between systems" values on the page.

mdl