Dennis Collins writes:

If I have an "optimized" score with empty staves removed, and if, for some reason, the staff names don't appear at the beginning of each stave, what is the proper or the best way to indicate the name of the part when it appears. I assume above the staff, I assume, but aligned with what? The first note or rest? This is a choral piece for five voices, with long sections for only 2 or 3 voices.

Dear Dennis,

If you are using abbreviated staff names assigned in the Staff Attributes dialog box, they will show on the optimized systems. If you prefer not to use them, you will need to add them either as measure expressions or as text blocks assigned to measures. I would enter the part name right after the clef (over the signature, if there is one).

Using "S.1" or "T.2" designations will be easily understood. In the case of a transcription of older music, such as Le Jeune's "Revoicy venir de printemps," where the original part names are Dessus, Cinquième, Haute-contre, Taille, Basse-contre, I would enter [S.1], [S.2], [A.], [T], and [B] above the signatures for each part at the beginning, then use whichever was needed for the sections for just two or three parts.

Hal

Hal
--
Harold Owen