Dennis Collins writes:

I'm doing a large number of vocal pieces, up till now for one to seven voices and continuo. I was using 70% system reduction, which meant that even with 8 parts I could get two systems on a page. I now have a piece with 2 times four parts (4 soloists and 4 "ripienists"), so with the continuo that gives me 9 parts when they all sing together. So I can no longer fit two systems on a page. Bearing in mind that is a series which I'd like to keep fairly consistent, I've thought of different solutions.
1) use a smaller system reduction
2) put two vocal parts on one staff only for the ripieno, since they only sing strictly chordal music, which would bring me back to 7 staves
3) omit the text of these chordal sections in some of the parts (giving it twice instead of four times, for instance - everyone sings the same words at the same time); these ripienists will have their own separate parts anyway
4) have only one system per page (but with a very wide spacing between staves, and twice as many pages - and page turns)

Dear Dennis,

David Bailey's solution sounds good. However, let me suggest another possibility: Have the Ripieno parts on two staves - hymnal style - with text between the staves. I have seen this arrangement in a few scores, and it seems logical.

Hal
--
Harold Owen
2830 Emerald St., Eugene, OR 97403