David:
Ok, let me specific a bit further what the problem is. Enter, one 16th note, one 32th rest, one 32th note (that's also called a dotted rhythm), select Document option/Beams/check Extend Secondary Beams Over Rests, to beam the 16th together and over the rest, but unfortunately the 32th stub is also 'beamed' way too long. And no special tool seems to shortened them as far I know. I use 2003a.

David H. Bailey wrote:

You don't say which version you are using, but at least in Fin2004 there are two checkboxes in Options/DocumentOptions/Beams -- one is Extend Beams Over Rests and the next is Extend Secondary Beams Over Rests. I don't remember when that was introduced, but it's there in Fin2004.

There are also Special Tools for breaking beams and for extending/shortening beams, both of which allow you to specify which beam/beams you work with (so you can work with just 16th beams if you want).

But look at the checkboxes in the Beams section of DocumentOptions in the Options menu and you should be able to fix things easily.