-----Original Message-----
Of Taris L Flashpaw
Subject: [Finale] MIDI: Sound substitute...

>Hi all...
        >I was wondering if anyone could suggest a good General MIDI substitute for
>crotales?

There's probably nothing that's going to sound wholly convincing, but if it
was me, and GM sounds were all I had, I would try mixing a low volume
tubular bells patch (transposed up a couple of octaves) with a glockenspiel
patch (again probably transposed up an octave).  The sound of crotales are
pretty complex in terms of the number of pitches one can hear, so you'd have
to experiment with using the same pitch in each sound or using different
pitches (I have a feeling that multiple pitches at different velocity levels
might be the way to go, though that's pretty time consuming).

Best thing to do is compare sound against a recording you have of them and
get as close as you can (which depending on your sound source may be fairly
close or not at all.)

Colin.