At 2:37 PM +0100 12/20/03, d. collins wrote:
The Essential Dictionary of Music Notation says fingerings and slurs can overlap. I'm not very keen on that. If you don't want them to overlap, is it better to have the fingerings above the slurs (I mean further away from the notes), or under the slurs? The original I'm "copying" has the slurs above the fingerings. But it seems that modern practice is the opposite.

Fingerings are important during the learning of a piece when sight-reading at tempo is of less importance. After the piece is learned sufficiently to allow sight-reading performance at tempo, fingering in the score is less important. For that reason, I would want the fingering outside of slurs.

Hal
--
Harold Owen
2830 Emerald St., Eugene, OR 97403