Well playback is via USB midi but there are no problems with the other
midi programmes that I use.

I originally thought the problem was with one particular file (which was
longer than the rest) but it has been occurring recently in other files
too. There might be a connection of older Finale formats being converted
to FinWin2k4 but I need to investigate this more thoroughly.

Otherwise it seems random i.e. crashes don't occur at any specific point.
The Windows folder file is full of Finale temp files (now deleted) - not
sure if this is a cause or a consequence. I'll see what happens now that
I've deleted them but I tend to keep a check on the temp files anyway.

As for background programmes, as a rule nothing other than that which
loads with Windows. I have been trying to isolate potential problems with
msconfig but so far no luck.

Many thanks

Malcolm Miles