On Sunday, January 4, 2004, at 12:20 PM, d. collins wrote:

Thanks for your thoughtful reply:

- How long is the repeated music?

Rather short. The more verses, the shorter the music. Each piece is only 3 or 4 systems.

- Is space/paper at a premium for you?

No.

- Do the verses have many scansion discrepancies which will require cue notes?

No, none (at least I haven't seen any yet).

- Will the singers be sight-reading from the page? reading from the page with rehearsal? learning from the page but singing from memory?

Probably the second.

Given these, I think I'd go with my original instinct: three repeats with three or two verses on each.

Actually, my idea was to do what I've seen in editions of Dowland's lute songs: i.e. not repeat the music, but give the text of the following verses separately, after the music. The music being fairly simple, I figure that the singers will know long before they know the text. Do I gather that you don't find this a good idea?

I think that's a fine idea. It's a perfectly reasonable solution in many contexts. You know the context better than I do.

mdl