Title: Re: [Finale] How to reduce note crowding?
At 4:05 PM -0500 1/05/04, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
Hi;

When entering notes for a lead sheet, they don't crowd that much, but when I want to put the chords in using the Chord tool, it runs the chords together. Apparently the note spacing algorithm does not take the chords into account.

So how can I change the spacing of individual notes so that the chord symbols don't run together? Actually sometimes they are too crowded even when no chords are entered.

Thanks; Bill S.

Options menu>Document Options>Music Spacing; check the box that says Chords.

I actually don't suggest this, as Finale doesn't know whether or not there is a chord on the next note or not, and it adjusts assuming there is, and you end up with a LOT of useless space if you put a chord symbol over an eighth note, for example. I suggest one of the following three possibilities:

1) Space the music with Chords UNchecked, then check Chords and only respace the measures that need it. This only works for me when I have a chord on every note in the measure (see above).

2) Drag a symbol left or right a bit, or use manual spacing, for some dense measures. I also make extra space by making only that one problem measure wider, by dragging it's right barline to the right in Scroll View (if you drag it in Page View, then the next measure gets smaller, that doesn't happen in Scroll View.)

3) Reduce the System size with the percent tool. Click not on the staff, and not in the upper left corner, to invoke System reduction (rather than Staff reduction or Page reduction), and enter a smaller figure. 85% is common for me, but a dense lead sheet might need 80 or 75%, or less. This will give more room to everything, and may solve the problem if the collision is not heavily overlappping. To judge from your last sentence, this would help you in any case. (I assume you are trying to fit four measures per line. This only makes sense if you are writing in even-numbered phrases. If you have odd-numbered phrases, go ahead and let Finale decide the note spacing, even if it means three or five measures per line, as reading is not helped much by having 4-line systems in this case.)