[Johannes Gebauer:]

>Situation: Several voices in one staff. A middle voice is tied. The tie
>collides with other notes. I would like to white out the tie around the
>other notes. Unfortunately this doesn't seem to be possible. I can white out
>the notes, but the tie will always show. I want it the other way round.
>
>Is there any way to do this?

     I know it's not really what you are asking for: but might it be okay to
slightly change the curvature of the tie so that it goes above or below the
notes in between? - either flatten it out more, or curve it more - whatever will
allow it mostly easily to go around the other notes.
     This can result in a curved line that is not quite standard in appearance,
but still obvious in meaning; I actually prefer this to whiting it out around
the notes.  (I seem to remember once writing a passage where the arrangement of
the parts forced me to use an S-shaped tie.)  I have seen such altered curves in
printed music where the texture on a single staff is complex, with 3 or 4
separately stemmed voices, so it could perhaps be regarded as acceptable in that
situation to have a differently-shaped curve - just as, in similar crowded
situations, you sometimes see note-beams altered in angle or sometimes drawn
thinner than usual because they are forced to fit in underneath other noteheads.
It's perfectly acceptable to me, provided the meaning is clear - and indeed
sometimes can't be avoided, unless you want to add an extra staff.

                         Regards,
                          Michael Edwards.