>>1. There are PCMCIA cards with the 15-pin GamePort/MPU-401 MIDI
connector.  These then require a fairly standard 15-pin-to-MIDI cable.<<

These (at least used to be) very difficult to find. We had a couple here
in the office and I seem to remember lots of problems with them...

>>2. If the MIDI device has a "TO HOST" port, and the laptop has a 9-pin

serial port, the CCIBM cable can connect them.<<

I've never been able to make this work reliably. (I have a MIDIMan
BiPort 2x2 that has this capability and the longest I could get it to
work was about 3 hours). There's something about serial ports that makes
'em really flaky.

I've seen the Extigy and a whole host of USB MIDI interfaces at various
music and technology stores. You might have to go into the
(shudder--just kidding) Mac section to get an interface--they often put
them with the Mac software, despite the availability of Windows drivers.