David Fenton wrote:
>What about things like you see on the last page of this score:

>http://www.bway.net/~dfenton/Collegium/Scores/MorleyRoses.pdf

>where you have notation that is purposefully "wrong" because it's
>musically clearer, with a dotted quarter note where only a quarter
>not is allowed by the meter, in order that you don't have to have a
>note tied. This makes the motive clearer, and is very helpful to
>musicians.

>Doing it this way in Finale also results in correct playback (there
>is a hidden 8th rest on the downbeat of the next measure).

>Can this be done in Sibelius?

Even though I've been using Sibelius to adapt Renaissance music (even the
specific piece you cite) for brass recently, I've never tried to copy the
original notation. I simply write a quarter (not dotted quarter) on the last
1/4 of a bar and tie it to an 8th across the barline.

I imagine it could be done by . . . .
1. Making the first bar 9/8 (with 4/4 style beaming and invisible time sigs
and rests of course).
2. Invisifying an 8th rest on the downbeat of the next bar.

The spacing would be a little wrong and you'd have to write an alternate
version for playback. Maybe somebody else knows a better way or a "free
meter" way.

Roger McDuffie