David W. Fenton wrote, in part

Meanwhile, since I'm stuck with WinFin2K3, what's the usual technique
for getting hyphens into a score after line breaks? I have never
figured out how to do it.

prompting Mark to write, in part:

Many recommend putting a hard space under the first syllable after the system break. I don't like that for two reasons. First, the leftmost hyphen appears too far to the right unless you drag the hard-space syllable leftward.

but I solve this problem by using a "hard" hyphen rather than a hard space, so that on the first note after a system break in WIN FIN, I would use an "alt - 0173" hyphen as the character to which the additional hypens in the succeeding system are attached.

ns