Hi Dennis,

You asked whether Sibelius handled two situations that Finale has trouble with
concerning lyrics. The one thing I tend to use Sibelius for rather than Finale is
choral scores, because I prefer Sibelius's lyric handling over Finale's.

>The trouble with these "smart hyphens" is that they don't appear under the
>first syllable of the new system, but (too far) to the left to my taste.

When the next syllable of the word is on the second note in a new system, Sibelius
correctly positions the hyphen directly under the first note of the new system.

>>Lyric spacing still has problems when two notes are assigned to a
>>syllable. The second note is invariably spaced too far to the right.

This isn't a problem in Sibelius either, thankfully!

>Since we're speaking of comparisons, does anyone how Sibelius behaves in
>these two situations?

I'd say it works better. There are some ways in which Sibelius's flexibility for
lyrics lags behind Finale, e.g. click assignment in Finale doesn't have an exact
equivalent in Sibelius, but Sibelius does allow you to copy and paste lyrics between
staves, or from an external text file (providing, obviously, you put the necessary
hyphenation in the text file first). I always find putting in lyrics in Sibelius
quicker than Finale, and having to rely on e.g. plug-ins for word extensions etc. has
meant that I'd rather use Sib than Finale.

>From what you say about the new lyrics features in 2k4, I won't be in a hurry to see
>if my workflow would be improved by using Finale for my choral pieces in future.

Best,
-WR