From: Arkady [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Friday, February 13, 2004 2:51 PM
To: SHSU F-inale List
Cc: MacSupport
Subject: OS X Save As PDF, F2004 Mac BUG -- WORKAROUND!?!?!?

I am on F2004, Panther 10.3.2, Powerbook 17

I Saved a F2004 Mac File as PDF(via Print Dialog Box), emailed it to a PC
user. With their Acrobat they saw BOXES instead of Treble Clef, or Sharps
and Flats in Key Signature, while on my end this file displayed perfectly in
Preview.

When I opened the same file in my Acrobat Reader 6.0.1( it's the latest
version, I believe), I saw the same BOXES as did the PC user.

Today, 2/13/04, I spoke to Finale Mac Tech Support(Thierry). They are aware
of this bug(lots of people have called), and are giving it a HIGH priority.
The suggested a work around which worked for some users. I tried it, and it
worked for me, but then it didn't ! Here it is --

In F2004 Mac, from Print Dialog Box I chose Save As PDF. Named the file.
Opened it in Preview, did Save As. Opened it in Acrobat, and IT WORKED!!! I
repeated those steps on the same F2004 file, as well as others, and IT DID
WORK in Acrobat 6.0.1. So I decided to share the happy news with my fellow
Finale users. And started typing this email... Then I decided to try it one
more time!:) .............

I repeated those steps on the same F2004 file, as well as others, and IT DID
NOT WORK in Acrobat 6.0.1 and 5.0.5!!! The BOXES instead of Treble Clef, or
Sharps and Flats in Key Signature were back! I Quit and Re-launched F2004
and tried all those steps again, and IT STILL DIDN'T WORK!

I called Finale Mac Tech Support again, and Brian told me that this work
around didn't work for him either, with both Acrobat 5 and 6. He tried it on
OS 10.2, and I am on OS 10.3.2

Now I waiting to hear from Thierry. Maybe one needs to take the Save As
steps in a PARTICULAR order, since it DID work when I was with him on the
phone, or maybe it was simply Murphy's Law?!:)

OBVIOUSLY, THIS IS A BUG in F2004 for Mac. The interesting thing is that
when I opened a F2002 file, and did Print>Save As PDF, BEFORE and WITHOUT
Saving it as F2004 File, it did display OK in Acrobat 6.0.1 and 5.0.5

As if the 3 months delay in Releasing F2004 for Mac wasn't bad enough, now
this BUG came to light -- a PERFECT Valentine's Day GIFT for our Sibelius
friends who yearn for any BAD NEWS about Finale.

I HOPE that the Finale Programmers can FIX THIS ASAP, before Finale gets
another "black eye" in this cold, competitive world!

A LOYAL USER since, 1990

* Arkady
http://www.arkady.com