On Feb 20, 2004, at 12:49 PM, Darcy James Argue wrote:

Well, if even if my proposed improvement to the staff tool is implemented, you needn't use it!

Perhaps I gave the wrong impression. I wasn't objecting to your proposal at all. I thought you were trying to persuade me to start using dragging instead of my accustomed method.

Well, that's a pretty good batting average, but how long did it take you to get there?

Years, probably, and I had a head start from many more years before that in non-wysiwyg typesetting. Visualizing the page is second-nature for me. Continuing to do it even when it's not necessary probably reinforces the skill. There's a lot of things which I could initially place with point-and-click but I generally don't. (I anticipate this might change for measure expressions with the new features added in 2k4.)

And shouldn't we be trying to make Finale easier for new users, as well

Absolutely. I'm all in favor of making improvements for everyone, whether they're things I myself use or not. I know full well that I'm an atypical user in my habits, and like most of us I focus on a particular type of work to the neglect of much of the rest. I'm sure that more than half of the program is stuff that I never use.

Also, IIRC, you don't work with orchestral scores much.

True. My experience is primarily with three-staff piano-vocal, and most of the rest is some sort of choral or vocal ensemble that rarely goes beyond six staves. I'm sure I'd develop a different set of procedures if I were to do a lot of orchestra scores. I certainly wasn't suggesting that my own rules should be imposed on everyone else.

mdl