At 4:44 PM -0700 4/5/04, Ryan Beard wrote:
You're really prepared to write a part with 8, 9, or
10 sharps in the key signature? I realize this is an
extreme example. Just curious where you draw the line.

For most well-trained, experienced musicians, confusion starts to set in with the first double flat or the first double sharp. The pros don't let it bother them, but the brain activity increases to process the information faster. Less-than-pros have to work it out on their own rather than sightreading it. I always cross the barrier at 6# or 6b and keep the reading as easy as possible, but I must admit that scoring e.g. alto sax in 5 flats when the other instruments are in sharps is NOT the most intuitive thing for my brain to handle. It's like writing for A clarinet: It helps to think of a different clef to keep track of where Do is!

For string players sightreading, it really does make a difference. Six flats forces their hands into half position, while six sharps gives them a normal but raised first position.

John

-- John & Susie Howell Virginia Tech Department of Music Blacksburg, Virginia, U.S.A 24061-0240 Vox (540) 231-8411 Fax (540) 231-5034 (mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]) http://www.music.vt.edu/faculty/howell/howell.html _______________________________________________ Finale mailing list [EMAIL PROTECTED] http://lists.shsu.edu/mailman/listinfo/finale