On 15 Apr 2004, at 07:43 PM, Brad Beyenhof wrote:
The website says that the download only updates the OSX version. For it to
be able to run in OS9, you have to get the CD.

That's not what I took it to mean -- I thought the 2004b updater would create a switch-hitting Carbon app that could run in OS 9 and OS X. However, the original installation CD only runs in OS X, so if you had a computer without OS X installed, you would need to get the Fin2004b CD in order to make the initial installation.

It turns out I was mistaken. I just tried to run Fin2004b in OS 9, and it's a no-go. If you want to run Fin2004 in OS 9 at all, you have to pay to have them send you the physical 2004b CD.

Bluntly, that sucks. My recollection of what Coda actually promised is hazy, but I thought they said registered users would be able to download the OS 9 version. I thought you only had to pay extra if you wanted the OS 9 version on a physical CD -- which is perfectly reasonable. But how much would it cost Coda to host the OS 9 version on their server? The actual application size is small (24.1 MB), and all of the component files, libraries, etc, are cross-platform. Given that MacFin2004 has, so far, been a complete and utter fiasco, you'd think it would be a nice goodwill gesture to their users to make Fin2004b for OS 9 a free download for all registered users.

There are any number of reasons why you might want both OS X and OS 9 versions of Fin2004. For instance, I'm sure some people have OS 9 on their laptop and OS X on their desktop, or vice versa.

- Darcy

-----

[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Brooklyn NY