The point may be moot, since the 2004 disks for OS9 have allegedly begun
shipping...but here's the issue anyway:

I frequently want to put chord symbols (indicating harmony changes) over
held notes--e.g., a whole note is held, but on beat 3 a suspension resolves
(or, heck, we just go from one chord to another).  There are several ways to
accomplish this, of course, and perhaps the clearest one would be to notate
the whole note as two tied half-notes.  Clearest, but it looks non-standard.

Another is to put dummy notes or rests, as many as needed per bar, in an
otherwise unused layer (e.g., layer 4), and put the chord symbols there,
then use the Staff Style "Blank Notation (Layer 4)" to hide the dummy notes.
I like this solution and use it a lot.

But...

When I do that, in measures where the vocal part is resting--indicated by a
default whole-rest, those rests disappear.  Layer 1 ends up blank as well.

Any idea why?  Or how to make it stop?

Regards,
Clay