Weldon Whipple wrote:

My current project is a collection of 7 short pieces for organ--each piece is
2-3 pages long. I think the total number of pages is 28 or 32.  I have
already printed everything on 8.5 x 11 paper, double-sided, and they look
great.  Each piece is in a separate file.

My gut feeling is that if I print using Finale, I will need to combine all
seven pieces into a single file, including the title-page, etc. Then I can
have Finale print pages 1 and 32 on one side of an 11 x 17 page, pages 2
and 31 on the other side, pages 3 and 30 on one side of a second sheet of
paper, etc., etc.

BTW (sorry for asking stupid questions): If I decide to go the Finale-only
route, do you have any tips for combining the seven files (one for each
piece) into a single file?

I have done exactly the same thing you propose with a choral score; perhaps my experience can be of assistance if you decide to go the Finale only route. The only difficulty is the requirement that pages be passed through the printer twice, which I admit is not a good option for consumer grade printers.

Since you already have the item printed in 8 1/2 x 11 inch double sided pages, you can assign page numbers, and determine which pages go together. First step is to go through the entire project, and append a blank page to the end of each file, and adjust the page numbers as needed, using the page number increment feature. Next, set up your printer to produce output on 11 x 17 paper, two-up (two images per sheet), and print from the appropriate file the last page (back cover) on the left, and a blank page on the right, then use the same sheet of paper, and print from the first file, a blank page on the right, and page one (front cover) on the right. After two passes through the printer, you have a sheet with the back cover on the left, and front cover on the right. For the other side of that sheet, reverse the process; the second page from the first file goes on the left, and the blank page on the right, and upon running the the page through again the blank page from the last file goes on the left, and the next-to-last page on the right. In my use of this method, I created images on a single 8 - 1/2 x 11 sheet which were comprised from four separate files, (that is, the left page was the end of one file and beginning of another, and the right page was the end of a third, and beginning of a fourth) by setting up the files to that the staves appeared where it would in the final booklet.

Since I have a consumer grade printer, I do not use this method for production work. I generate "masters" this way, and take them to the local copy shop, at which the copiers have the capability of making double sided copies form single sided masters on 11 x 17 paper, and make the production copies there.

Among the reasons I decided not to combine the constitutents into one large file, were the fact that if I kept the files separate, and a file became corrupted requiring replacement, or alternatively, if I found an error that needed to be corrected, it would be easier in a small file, than in a large one.

There may be another option here, worth considering. Some of the copy places now offer the capability of accepting material for duplication on-line (and one presumes, on disk), so that it might be cost effective to find out what printers they are using, and print to file using the appropriate driver, taking the individual pages to a shop where they will be automatically copied into the proper location, and perhaps collated and bound as well.

ns